Thursday, October 2, 2008

Birthday wishes


Oct. 1 was a happy birthday, complete with homemade chocolate chip cookies made by my wife and daughter, cards, clothes and best of all, Thomas L. Friedman's new book "Hot, Flat and Crowded."

I'm excited because it's a book about the need for a Green Revolution, a cause I believe strongly in and a field I'd like to write about for somebody. While the newspaper business is slowly killing itself, the art of storytelling is very much alive and is moving to the Internet as more and more people get their news online.

I don't want to sound like a politician, but what this country needs is a new type of New Deal, or Green Deal. FDR put Americans to work building roads, and the next president should put people to work building solar panels and windmills. It's time for Americans to wake up to global warming and the effect we're having on the environment and do something about it. It's time for big steps, such as a Green Deal for the country.

Another book I'm looking forward to reading is Barbara Ehrenreich's "Bait and Switch," about white-collar unemployment. It looks like my blog kind of dovetails into her book, as I'm sure many other blogs do, in telling the tale of finding a job in a lousy economy but with many of the job skills you'd think would lead to fulltime work.

No comments:

Post a Comment